[Oberon] filesystem with directories ?

Jack Johnson knapjack at gmail.com
Tue May 2 19:08:05 CEST 2006

On 5/2/06, John Drake <jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm no familair with ComfoDesk, but I have used
> tagged based filing systems and they are a
> GREAT idea and much better than hiearchical
> systems.

Why not do away with traditional filenames altogether and have the
name as one of the default tags?  You might end up with a system
that's similar to a flattened version of BFS' file attributes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be_File_System

...but the reason I went down this path is that Plan 9's venti indexes
blocks by their SHA1 hash.  Doing something like storing all files by
their hash would remove duplication, and files could be easily
searched, indexed, etc., by storing their name (or multiple names) as
just another tag/attribute rather than having one process for
searching by name and another for searching by tag.

-Jack (speaking without authority)