[Oberon] POP server

Easthope peasthope at cablelan.net
Fri Nov 24 23:18:33 MET 2006

Bill & others,

wh> If you mean to go off and gather mail *FROM* [one or more
remote] POP mailboxes, then Fetchmail or Getmail among others.

I want the Oberon Mail.Panel to do that.  If I
understand the terminology correctly, Mail.Panel
is the MUA and provides the client end of POP
and POP3.

wh> If you mean actually *receive* mail, then it is an MTA you want,
not POP.

Seems that the facility I need is an MTA for receiving.
Postfix is sending already.  Don't some MTA provide the
server end of POP?

wh> No clue about Debian's 'package' system, but if the gcc
compiler and libraries are available for Debian, you could
perhaps install those and compile from source as Unix folk do.

The packages I've seen mentioned are Cyrus, Courier and
Qpopper.  Installation of the binaries is dead-easy,
once I know what to aim for.  Configuration might be
an effort.

Thanks & best regards,           ... Peter E.