Re (2): [Oberon] document packaging.

Easthope peasthope at cablelan.net
Sat May 12 00:48:59 MEST 2007

Hi Chris,

cb> I just tried it with Internet Explorer 7 and it successfully
downloaded
a tar.gz file and launched WinZip to open it.

Thanks!  You prompted me to test also.

Debian Iceweasel displays
http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/TestDocPackage.html.gz
as a picture with a caption beneath, as we
expect.  IE probably does the same.  The
value of this is only to save storage.

TestDocPackage.tar.gz contains TestDocPackage.html
and Cantor.jpg.  When Iceweasel is given the URI
http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/TestDocPackage.tar.gz
it opens a dialogue to ask whether to open
with /bin/tar or to "Save to Disk".

Choosing "Open with /bin/tar" gets Iceweasel
to open the Downloads viewer which tells
that TestDocPackage.tar.gz is "Done".
If I click "Open" nothing visible happens.
Unzipping and untarring a second time is
uninteresting.

In any case, pointing Iceweasel at
http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/TestDocPackage.tar.gz
does not open the document as we might
hope.

I haven't seen the file name extension mentioned.
Will speculate at a document named
http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/TestDocPackage.opc
which a browser will display automatically.
(This doesn't exist on Carnot yet.)
The opc file will be portable as a pdf,
readable with a browser rather than with
Adobe Reader and smaller that a pdf.

People at ETH must have considered all this
long ago.

Regards,         ... Peter E.