Re (2): [Oberon] A few "Oberon.Desk" questions

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Thu Aug 26 00:28:29 MEST 2010

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, peasthope at shaw.ca wrote:

> Duke,
>
> > That's the _first_ thing I tried! To my surprise, nothing showed up. I
> > then tried *.LOG; *.log; etc - no joy! Otherwise, I wouldn't have
> > asked the question. :)
>
> It's something simple but not obvious.
> You are using [Open ^] and not [Open]?

Can't remember! I'll pay more attention when I'm in NO next. If I was
half smart, I'd install LNO and see how _that_ works for me. Then, I
wouldn't have to jump between OS.

> Did you get Gadgets from the diskette set or from the ftp server?
> Was the Gadgets release consistent with the system release?
> Ie., everything was either beta or alpha and not a mixture?

The only NO stuff I have is the "Alpha" release which I DL (via HTTP)
from the ETH ftp site. I installed the system from the install
diskette. I subsequently installed the "alpha" Gadgets.

> There should be a way to open the Gadgets desktop in the
> User track while leaving the System track visible.  That
> would allow you to follow the System.Log.  For now I'm out
> of ideas.

OK! I'll try that.

> What about using the compiler from the TUI at least until the
> GUI is more cooperative?  And of course, Gadgets can always be
> troubleshot using traditional methods of inserting landmarks
> in the source to be monitored in the System.Log.

Using the compiler from the TUI is what I've been doing, until I got
nosy and started poking around at the "goodies" that ship with NO. :)
Sawitzki recommends using Desktops.OpenDoc Builder.Tool ~ in his
tutorial, so that was another reason that I was poking around the
Desktop. I can just as well open Builder.Tool from the TUI though.

Thanks again!
--
Duke