[Oberon] NO still lives a little bit

Bob Walkden bob at web-options.com
Sun Nov 21 19:27:05 CET 2010

> Seriously, for me it's a close race between "obc" and "oo2c". These two
> compilers will work on almost all platforms. LNO is nice - but you're
stuck _in_
> LNO. Learning Oberon in LNO, is learning to program LNO - that's it!
that's all!
> It's nice if you want to extend LNO - which is cool too, if LNO satisfies
all your
> needs.

you can also learn to program in Oberon using Blackbox. I use Native Oberon
on a bare metal Thinkpad 760ED, and Blackbox under Win 7. The interesting
thing to do is to try and write code that will run in Blackbox and on NO.
It's a good exercise in abstraction and helps to keep you honest. For me the
benefit of using NO is that the Oberon environment is so different from
everything else that it is refreshing and makes me think in unconventional
ways.