[Oberon] NO still lives a little bit

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Sun Nov 21 19:35:53 CET 2010

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010, Bob Walkden wrote:

> > Seriously, for me it's a close race between "obc" and "oo2c". These two
> > compilers will work on almost all platforms. LNO is nice - but you're
> stuck _in_
> > LNO. Learning Oberon in LNO, is learning to program LNO - that's it!
> that's all!
> > It's nice if you want to extend LNO - which is cool too, if LNO satisfies
> all your
> > needs.
>
> you can also learn to program in Oberon using Blackbox. I use Native Oberon
> on a bare metal Thinkpad 760ED, and Blackbox under Win 7. The interesting
> thing to do is to try and write code that will run in Blackbox and on NO.
> It's a good exercise in abstraction and helps to keep you honest. For me the
> benefit of using NO is that the Oberon environment is so different from
> everything else that it is refreshing and makes me think in unconventional
> ways.

I hear what you're saying, and I can't say that I disagree. I've
thought about LNO in that same way - it's simplicity _is_ somewhat
refreshing, and _everything_ is there to extend it. It's the
chicken-and-the-egg thing. for me. When I get really comfortable with
Oberon-2, then I'll be in a better position to enjoy and extend LNO. I
guess that I've been using emacs for too long ... :)

--
Duke