[Oberon] testt

Jan Verhoeven jan at verhoeven272.nl
Fri Nov 26 00:06:44 CET 2010

On Thursday 25 November 2010 23:50:10 scruty at users.sourceforge.net
wrote:
>  > 	http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl/obc/data/testt.tgz
>  >
>  > Download it, unpack it and run the executable './testt'
>
> here's result on UbUntU10.04
>
> ./testt
> Runtime error: /usr/local/lib/obc/Files.so: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory in module DynLink In procedure
> DynLink.Load
>     called from Files.%main
>     called from MAIN

Hmm. I was afraid of that. The testt file is interesting to take a look
at. It is a shell script file, with the byte code appended inline.

The idea was: if the bytecode needs no more than the objx executable,
then the programs can be exchanged across all Linuxes by slightly
tampering the first line of the executable.

Which isn;t the case. It needs the other files as well and those are
in /usr/local/lib/obc

Thanks for the help.

> p.s.: just found out, OBC means Oxford Oberon-2 compiler.
> is it worth trying?

I think it is. It compiles to a byte code, with compilers and runtimes
for both Linux and Windows. So cross platform Oberon. Free of charge.
Spivey is an excentric, like Wirth, but the latter is a friendly
excentric...

See also http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl/obc/index.html and more
specific http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl/obc/triples.html

> what shall we do with byte code and why isn't the compiler written in
> O2?

You need a chicken to lay the first egg. Or a big lab to X-ray a
crocodile's edd until a chicklet pops out. Spivey wrote his chicken
with the OCaml compiler. There's always a first program that cannot be
written in the target language.

> Objective Caml with C for run-time-system, ... with dynamic
> translation to x86 machine code.

I've done tests....

See http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl/obc/obc7.html in the very last
table of that page. obc ByteCode is 10 times faster than ACK object
code.

> and I thought make it as simple as ...

Einstein was not the kind of guy we would like to be friends with. So
this quote is probably, like most of his others, without any value.

Einstein was rejected by ETHZ. So he went to Bern.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Jan Verhoeven
http://www.verhoeven272.nl