[Oberon] Oberon Companion was: Help in using an Oberon systems.

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sat Dec 15 03:48:30 CET 2012

I didn't recall finding it hard when I first used Oberon in the early 1990's
so I also just went through a similar exercise myself to try to understand
why some people seem to have so much difficulty getting started.

My conclusions as to why it was not a problem for me at the time are:

1. I bought the three ACM Press Oberon books (and read them!) BEFORE
attempting to use the system.

See Paul Reed's comments back in 2002:

http://lists.inf.ethz.ch/pipermail/oberon/2002/002285.html

Fortunately two of the three ACM books can now be downloaded for those who
are unable to access a printed version.

2. PC systems available in the 1990's were much less complex than those
available today.

It would not surprise me if just the USB subsystem on this computer I am
using now is several orders of magnitude more complex than the entire Oberon
operating system.

3. I installed either the native version or only hosted on top of a simple
system i.e. MS-DOS. This minimised the chance of a complex operating system
interfering with its operation!

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris Burrows
Astrobe: Oberon for Cortex-M3 (v4.3 Nov 2012)