[Oberon] The Oberon answer to Arduino

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Fri Dec 28 01:29:33 CET 2012

Jan,

Thanks for all of your correspondence.  The links to the boards are useful
and I am studying them.  I cannot disagree with anything that you have
posted, and I do want clear and honest remarks.

A question that I must look deeply into is "why not just buy the CFB system
and a board?"  I need to answer that for myself, and articulate that answer
into any further editing that I do on the KickStarter presentation.  I have
been editing on that all day.  Alternately, I wonder, why not just buy a
MIPS based router with a lot of memory and retrofit Oberon onto it.
 Perhaps when I brick it I will make a JTAG adapter and daughterboard for
my 2004 era artifact.  What do I want to *do* with Oberon, anyway?

Or, perhaps, I should write a general chemistry textbook for the Nook and
completely abandon all thoughts about embedded systems.

It is sad indeed to spend as much effort as I did on this project and yet
to be eclipsed.  I wish I had access to KickStarter back in 2004, but that
is not the universe that we are in.

At this time, however, it takes only a few days effort to put the
KickStarter project together.  The boards exist, the files have been ready
for 8 years.  The worst outcome is that I launch a kickstarter project that
is anachronistic and only a former student or two backs it.  If so, I will
write this off to "experience in submitting a KickStarter project" and go
forward with that experience, with or without a "funding" status.

I wish I could be a catalyst to bring forth the "Killer Oberon App" but I
don't see it happening.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Jan Verhoeven <jan at verhoeven272.nl> wrote:

> On Tuesday 25 December 2012 19:18:55 Aubrey.McIntosh at alumni.utexas.net
> wrote:
> > Thanks for the time to write this.  Sobering, but perhaps necessary.
> > I will go through it carefully, a time or tow.
>
> Dear Aubrey
>
> I may have been a bit harsh, but I speak from experience. NEGATIVE
> experience. Present day customers want INSTANT success at ZERO cost.
> It's VERY hard.
>
> I've been looking around a bit more the last few days. And there's even
> more than I expected.
>
> It's impossible to compete with this beast:
>
> https://www.olimex.com/Products/Duino/PIC32/PIC32-PINGUINO-MICRO/
>
> unless you have production facilities in low wages countries. Olimex is
> from Bulgaria. They entered the EU. Sooner or later they will have to
> raise their prices too. But at the moment they still are very hard to
> beat.
> 10 years ago, Olimex was still so-so. Shipping from Bulgaria was
> dangerous. 1 out of 10 shipments got lost on the way.
> Things have improved a lot. Now Olimex is quite good. For PCB's I would
> go to pcbcart.com though.
>
> --
> Met vriendelijke groeten,
>
> Jan Verhoeven