[Oberon] FPGAOberon on the Pipistrello

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Mon Oct 5 01:35:45 CEST 2015

Hi Markus,

Yes - editing, compiling and uploading are all done on the PC using the
Astrobe IDE. The Oberon source code files on the PC are just text files so
you can use any of your other Windows software development tools (editors,
difference listers, version control systems, grep searches) to maintain
them. The resulting modules (*.rsc files) are dynamically linked on the FPGA
exactly as they are in the full Project Oberon system.

The core OS modules that I use - Kernel, FileDir, Files and Modules (the
dynamic loader), are identical to the Project Oberon distribution except for
one difference: I have implemented a Files.SetDate function that I call from
the Upload function so that files uploaded from the PC have the same date /
timestamp on the Oberon system.

As for a 'business model' Astrobe for FPGA RISC5 is free - you'll just have
to register your name and email address to use it:

http://www.astrobe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=476

The downside is that you will get half-a-dozen or so Astrobe-related emails
from me each year ;-)

Support is limited to this mailing list and the Astrobe forum. Anything else
that would create work for me which I am not already doing for myself I
would have to charge for e.g. helping you to get it working on a board that
you have built or purchased for your own or commercial use. An exception
would be for individuals like Magnus (Saanlima) or Enso who were developing
a board specifically aimed at supporting Oberon. I am happy to try and help
them if possible - the only cost to them would be to send me a board to work
with. If Xilinx or Altera was the customer that might be a different story
:)

No Linux version of Astrobe for RISC5 is planned - it requires Windows 7, 8
or 10.

If you wanted a Linux version you would be able to use the target system as
long as you had a Linux tool to write the supplied core OS disk image to an
SD Card. You would also need:

* A Linux text editor to create your Oberon programs
* To port the RISC5 Oberon compiler to Linux.
  Gardens Point Component Pascal (GPCP) for JVM might be a good starting
point. It only took a couple of days to port the compiler using GPCP for
.NET
* A Linux terminal emulator that can run at 115200 baud to upload the object
files (*.rsc) to the target.

Regards,
Chris

CFB Software