[Oberon] On Oberon Sources

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Sun Apr 3 17:54:57 CEST 2016

A very useful command is *System.ShowCommands*

I think it takes parameters the very same way as other commands, whether a
comma separated tilde terminated list, an up arrow ^, or a star *.  I don't
have an Oberon running right now, bit it should be very easy to try all
three methods, or else open a viewer and read the source.

In the basic system, there should be some popup menus in a .Tool file that
you can see, and also the commands such as Edit.Store in the menu bar of
any Text viewers that you open.  The module names that you find there
should be rewarding targets for the command, if you want the activity of
the Easter egg hunt rather than just reading the documentation for a day.
I myself read some days and enjoy the hunt on others.

If you do a MM+MR on any of the popup menus they should open in their own
viewer and allow you not only to see, but also to edit their contents.
There is a question of shallow vs deep store when you go to save those
changes, and I and almost certainly others have developed local practices
to isolate the customizations from the pristine distributed system.

Depending on your release, and the accuracy of my memory, there may be a
module named EditTools.  It may have a command EditTools.StoreAscii.  There
may already be a popup menu item with that command in the default
TextViewer menu.  I myself did some customization of my system, and time
has blurred the memory of which is custom and which is the default of the
distribution.

Oberon is an incredibly powerful system with a design so sparse that it is
difficult to comprehend how it can do so much.  The paradox is that a
system that you can comprehend with 1 or 2 sentences that does things just
like Unix can't be that novel and powerful.  You can't make Oberon be "like
Unix" and also be something that is revolutionary even 30 years after it
was first made public, you have no choice but to choose which you want, the
revolution or the familiar.

You are the latest newcomer to ask these almost identical questions, and
they give us the sense of a person flying across the country who is unhappy
that he cannot feel the bare ground under his feet and doesn't know why
there isn't just a way to open up the floor of the plane so that he can.
Stay inside the plane.  It is more comfortable, safer, and faster.

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Bob Walkden <bob at web-options.com> wrote:

> In System3 there is an EditTools module which includes various converters.
>
> Note - they are converters. What you seem to want to do makes no sense.
> Oberon and Linux use different file formats.

> On 3 Apr 2016, at 16:07, Srinivas Nayak <sinu.nayak2001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> You mean:
> >> how can I create a Hello.Mod file USING Oberon that contains ONLY
> >> ascii characters of my code?
> >
> > Yes. You took the words right out of my mouth!
> >
> >> NativeOberon & LEO & V4 & BlueBottle/Aos [the only ones I know] can all
> write
> >> ASCII-only text files.
> >
> > How?
> >
> > I clicked Edit.Open. Typed something into it. Then added a filename at
> viewer's title.
> > Then clicked System.Store. I got the file. Oped in Linux. No Luck. It
> shows me blank!
> > In Oberon when I open it, it has the same characters I typed.
> > That means, I was not able to get a plain ascii file using Edit.Open in
> Oberon.
> >
> > Same I did using Script.Open. No luck. Similar observation.
> >

> > How do you create a plain ascii file?
> > I tried all these in OLR.
> > Because it is easy to create a file in Oberon and immidiately access the
> file from /olr folder in Linux.
> > Never tried on my NO in vbox, because I don't know how to exchange file
> between NO and Linux.
> >

> > Kindly refer me the steps to create ascii file, if you are able to do so.
> >

> >> Your question is WRONG.
> >>  "do X in Oberon" is not sufficiently defined.
> >> Which version/S of Oberon?
> >
> > You are right.
> > My mistake. I want to know how to do it in NO alpha 2.3.6 (and OLR).
> >

> > With thanks and best regards,
> >
> > Yours sincerely,
> > Srinivas Nayak
> >
> > Home: http://www.mathmeth.com/sn/
> > Blog: http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.in/

> ascii
> >>
> >> You mean:
> >> how can I create a Hello.Mod file USING Oberon that contains ONLY
> >> ascii characters of my code?
> >>
> >> NativeOberon & LEO & V4 & BlueBottle/Aos [the only ones I know] can all
> write
> >> ASCII-only text files.
> >>
> >> When I transfer files between LEO and M$ or *nix I need to select
> >> LEO's facilities
> >> to read/write in those formats: 4 different commands from a popup menu.
> >>
> >> NativeOberon could only do DOS.
> >> V4 for Linux mistakenly did DOS, but patching the code to do *nix was
> trivial.
> >>
> >> Your question is WRONG.
> >>  "do X in Oberon" is not sufficiently defined.
> >> Which version/S of Oberon?
> >>
> >> == Chris Glur
> >> --

(email is my preferred communication media)
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.
1502 Devon Circle
Austin TX 78723-1814
(512)-348-7401