[Oberon] ETH Oberon Projects and Applications available

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sun Nov 26 05:57:33 CET 2017

Cris:

  thank you! I was not quite sure what applications they put into the distribution. I now explored a bit.

Then I also looked at your pointers. Note I added white spaces to avoid our notorious URL scrambler.

>  http://www .ethoberon.ethz.ch/software/
>  ftp://ftp .ethoberon.ethz.ch/ETHOberon/Contrib/

Navigation around these pages is like visiting Pompeii. Once alive, now dead. We know what killed Pompeii. But what killed System 3?

I got curious about System7 hiding among the Contributions: ftp://ftp .ethoberon.ethz.ch/ETHOberon/Contrib/System7/

In the System7.txt I read: "In Wirth's System 7, he has Real Time tasks (bound to interrupts)..."

Wow! Wirth's System Seven! It seems extremely interesting for a possible real time application.  I did not know it existed.

Then I wonder about Wirth's System 5 and System 6.

I also looked at AntsInFields linked from the software page, www .antsinfields.de. Quite honestly, most of Gadgets examples look awful to me. But AntsInFields screen shots are plain beautiful. They show how the Gadget application can look. Very impressive. Very nice.

And all of that software is now covered with a think blanket of volcanic ash. Sad....