[Oberon] PO2013 - SD Image Tool

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Sat May 16 15:40:55 CEST 2020

Hi Tomas,

> Excellent, it was already addressed. I was always curious what people
> around NW did back in 2013 to make original image.

Prof. Wirth built the system by meticulously transferring everything
across the RS232 link, using a special Inner Core imported by a simple
command interpreter on the RISC5 called Oberon0.  See section 14.1 of
the book:

https://inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/ProjectOberon/PO.Applications.pdf

Since this process depended heavily on another Oberon system on a host
computer, I made some rather hacky cross-tools to build a downloadable
SD-card image for projectoberon.com.

I explained some of the (mainly defensive) rationale for the format of
the RISC.img image in a previous post:

http://lists.inf.ethz.ch/pipermail/oberon/2016/008881.html

HTH,
Paul