[Oberon] all in one git tree

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 00:44:39 CET 2020

On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 at 00:31, D EMARD <vordah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, just a click to "fork" and anyone will get his own
> independent copy of the repository, so it will never
> be lost and it's always possible to go back in time
> before some unwanted change.
>
> I was thinking, collect the oldest source you know still exists,
> and start git with this, giving it some approximate date when you
> think/remember source was done, add next to oldest versions.
>
> At some time oberon will split in 2 directions, (in git terminology branch)
> So make the branch by giving it a name (oberon 2, active oberon etc.)
> and collect everything you have from ftp's zip's etc to a git tree until present
> day.
>
> If something big is forgotten, git can be rebased back to the past and fixed.
> If something small, just add it later and note you have forgotten to add before.

Again: please bottom-post on lists. It's very easy in Gmail: press
Ctrl-A to select all, which expands the quoted text. Trim it to the
part you're responding to, then type underneath. It is how I did this.

And again: this is not the point. We know how Git works. The point is
that there are now multiple different Github repos containing mirrors
of ETH's repo, and none is "official".

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com