[Oberon] Portings Texts.Mod to Oberon-7, my Artemis project

Oleg N. Cher allot at bk.ru
Thu Jun 17 04:39:30 CEST 2021

Dear Robert,

You may not have known this, but Ofront by Josef Templ has a successor -
this is the Ofront+ (https://github.com/Oleg-N-Cher/OfrontPlus). It
supports various UNIX-like (both 32-bit and 64-bit), as well as macOS
and Windows. Also I tested this under Linux Armbian on Orange Pi PC Plus
(ARMv7 architecture).

Also it has five input languages, including Oberon-07/16 and Component
Pascal. The support for Oberon-07 was done rather hastily, I can't call
it completed. But I'm interested in improving it. Therefore, I would be
very grateful if you take Ofront+ as one of the translators for build
the Artemis.

It should probably be noted here that I am interested in the industrial
application of Oberon-07, and not in academic adherence to the canons of
extreme simplicity. So I will support both language extensions and also
things that seem reasonable to me.

Also, I just recently thought about the need to support UTF-8 as one of
input text format for Ofront+. I do not know what this might look like
in Oberon-07, where the CHAR type size is not fixed, which is likely to
cause a lot of problems. But I will probably have to develop something
like the Texts module, which should support at the input ANSI, UTF-8
encoded text, and I will definitely need support of the .odc format from
BlackBox Component Builder. The output will be a two-byte CHAR type.

  even more than sure that you don't need support of .odc format, as
well as Component Pascal language. But I decided to inform you anyway.

Thank you for developing Artemis, I will follow your development.