[Oberon] Emulators / Hardware Enumerator

Michael Schierl schierlm at gmx.de
Sun Feb 6 00:37:52 CET 2022

Hello,

Am 30.07.2020 um 22:11 schrieb Michael Schierl:
> And therefore I agree with Jörg that there should be a hardware
> enumerator in the hardware (and the emulators) so that the software can
> detect where it is running on and automatically load the correct
> drivers. As it is easy to implement such magic on an emulator, but the
> real goal is to make sure that the same enumerator can be implemented on
> "the real thing", Jörg wanted to add this enumerator first to his
> boards, and then when he got it working the plan was to add it to my
> emulators.

It took a bit longer than I anticipated, but at the end Jörg and I could
not agree about the exact scope of the hardware enumerator. His plans
were to integrate more information for software to identify devices and
device classes, but at the end his description was too vague for me to
implement.

So we decided that I would take what we had discussed so far, call it
version 1 of the hardware enumerator, and publish it. Running the risk
that he will publish version 2 later.

The specification (version 1.0.1) is at

<https://github.com/schierlm/OberonEmulator/blob/master/hardware-enumerator.md>

A patch for Peter de Wachter's emulator is at

<https://github.com/pdewacht/oberon-risc-emu/pull/24>

My own JavaScript emulator has been updated (it now supports the
Hardware Enumerator, but so far no new emulated hardware has been
added). My disk images are not yet updated, but Oberon patches to use
the hardware enumerator are at

<https://github.com/schierlm/Oberon2013Modifications/commit/f704ee5a0270ba1d2434e95383b0bca7ebe0f9f7>

in case you want to build/update your own ones.

Regards,

Michael