[Oberon] ALU 2015 and 2018

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Wed May 11 13:02:12 CEST 2022

Hi Wojtek,

You've got it - ignoring stalls, in RISC5 the only registers (in the HDL
sense) which are updated on each clock cycle are the PC, the IR, and the
flags. The value of every signal, once they all settle after propagation
delays, is based off that set.

That also goes for the external memory, which is used combinatorially,
ie asynchronously, as I've pointed out before. So the new instruction
from the SRAM ends up being ready for the IR at the end of the cycle
(just).

So I agree with Magnus - it's kind of not pipelined at all, really.

If you want to use memory with a synchronous interface, you'd have to
figure out how to overcome that simple limitation of the design. I think
it's a big ask of an intern! Even to drive in the direction of your
goal, what would be the first step for him/her to aim to achieve?

RISC-V on the other hand was designed with pipelining and a synchronous
memory interface in mind from the start.

HTH,
Paul